1st day of school
The 1st day was long. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG, but great.
I left a little early because I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get there from Spring. Seeing that the kids were still out of school, traffic was light, I arrived a little too early. Yet, there was no parking in the parking lot. I paused a little to see where everyone was parking and saw 2 guys IN SMALL CARS pass a parallel parking spot. It was a little tight for my mom's truck, but doable. I parked there... perfectly I might add.. :)
As I was walking in, there were a lot of students. Saw 2 types of uniforms. For those doing Academics, polo shirts with school logo, jeans or tan pants. A Chef jacket, b/w checkered pants & chef hat for those in the Labs ( where you're actually in a kitchen doing all the fun stuff).
I went upstairs to pay my tuition and then hung out in the lounge area. I need to remember how to use that Cappuccino machine. I think I'm really going to LOVE the coffee station.
As I was going downstairs to my 1st class, I stopped by JL's office to ask about the laptop we can get at a students price. I REALLY need a laptop for myself. Right now I'm sharing mine with the kids and its slow.
I have all Academic classes this term. Each term is about 10 weeks. I just realized that these classes are not like regular college classes. We are taking mini semesters. We have to learn everything and pass in 10 weeks.
My 1st class is Intro to Hospitality Industry. Picked up my book. The instructor seems nice. Gave us his expectations, do's & don'ts. Gave us our Syllabus and dates for Mid Term and Final due. He was very clear that homework is given.
We then had to introduce ourselves ( I hate this part), what program we're in, why culinary school, and what type of animal we are and why? I picked a mule... I'm stubborn but a hard worker and occasionally I make an ass out of myself. (didn't say the last part out loud). The last part of the class, we jumped with into Chapter One and received our take home QUIZ.
My second class is Purchasing for Hospitality Operations. Same as class one.. Syllabus, expectations, dates... intros. Instructor also seems nice.
This one I'm a little worried about. We have 2 projects.
Project ONE -Purchasing Product Knowledge
Pick a product. Describe products variations, origins, appearance, uses, ect. Write 3-5 recipes using your product. How you purchase, store, what specific guidelines the products might require and we have to give all our information in a 20 min presentation. I have 2 partners for this project.
Project TWO - Capstone Project
Create a 1 year business plan with 30 - 60 seats. Include hours of operation, menus. Create recipes and then break down the cost. Purchasing,ordering & storage procedures. Draw kitchen layout, with kitchen specs, where you would buy large kitchen equipment. Include supplier/vendor information. I have 4 partners for this project.
See why I'm worried?
My third class is English Comp I.
This one is LONG from 2:30 to 5pm. Around 3 pm I was crashing from all the coffee. We did the same syllabus, expectations, dates... intros.. I stayed awake and participated mid coffee crash, so the instructor must be good.
I have a lot of reading and writing to do.
It was a pretty good long day. They even changed my name on my badge. YAY! :)
I left a little early because I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get there from Spring. Seeing that the kids were still out of school, traffic was light, I arrived a little too early. Yet, there was no parking in the parking lot. I paused a little to see where everyone was parking and saw 2 guys IN SMALL CARS pass a parallel parking spot. It was a little tight for my mom's truck, but doable. I parked there... perfectly I might add.. :)
As I was walking in, there were a lot of students. Saw 2 types of uniforms. For those doing Academics, polo shirts with school logo, jeans or tan pants. A Chef jacket, b/w checkered pants & chef hat for those in the Labs ( where you're actually in a kitchen doing all the fun stuff).
I went upstairs to pay my tuition and then hung out in the lounge area. I need to remember how to use that Cappuccino machine. I think I'm really going to LOVE the coffee station.
As I was going downstairs to my 1st class, I stopped by JL's office to ask about the laptop we can get at a students price. I REALLY need a laptop for myself. Right now I'm sharing mine with the kids and its slow.
I have all Academic classes this term. Each term is about 10 weeks. I just realized that these classes are not like regular college classes. We are taking mini semesters. We have to learn everything and pass in 10 weeks.
My 1st class is Intro to Hospitality Industry. Picked up my book. The instructor seems nice. Gave us his expectations, do's & don'ts. Gave us our Syllabus and dates for Mid Term and Final due. He was very clear that homework is given.
We then had to introduce ourselves ( I hate this part), what program we're in, why culinary school, and what type of animal we are and why? I picked a mule... I'm stubborn but a hard worker and occasionally I make an ass out of myself. (didn't say the last part out loud). The last part of the class, we jumped with into Chapter One and received our take home QUIZ.
My second class is Purchasing for Hospitality Operations. Same as class one.. Syllabus, expectations, dates... intros. Instructor also seems nice.
This one I'm a little worried about. We have 2 projects.
Project ONE -Purchasing Product Knowledge
Pick a product. Describe products variations, origins, appearance, uses, ect. Write 3-5 recipes using your product. How you purchase, store, what specific guidelines the products might require and we have to give all our information in a 20 min presentation. I have 2 partners for this project.
Project TWO - Capstone Project
Create a 1 year business plan with 30 - 60 seats. Include hours of operation, menus. Create recipes and then break down the cost. Purchasing,ordering & storage procedures. Draw kitchen layout, with kitchen specs, where you would buy large kitchen equipment. Include supplier/vendor information. I have 4 partners for this project.
See why I'm worried?
My third class is English Comp I.
This one is LONG from 2:30 to 5pm. Around 3 pm I was crashing from all the coffee. We did the same syllabus, expectations, dates... intros.. I stayed awake and participated mid coffee crash, so the instructor must be good.
I have a lot of reading and writing to do.
It was a pretty good long day. They even changed my name on my badge. YAY! :)
Labels: LeNôtre

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home