Baking Lab 1 Week one.
Taking a break because my Nutrition homework is so damn boring., Kill me now.
My 1st week of labs was awesome! I'm also realizing what I got myself into. I can't comment on the Cuisine side, but Pastry.. is no joke. You can't be a wussy, you can't take things personal, you better listen and be quick. Things are time/temperature sensitive.
Chef.. we are to only address them as "YES,Chef!". I kid, kind of.. most chefs want to be addressed as Chef, instead of Sir or Mr. I only say "YES, Chef!", because if they ask you to do something that should be your response.
I like my Chef, which is what I will call him from now on, not sure if he would be cool with me using his real name. Last thing I need is for him to be pist at me. I think he looks a little like William Petersen. He's all business. He does not like to repeat himself, but I notice none of them like to repeat themselves. I like his stories & if he has time he gives tips or advice, but don't piss him off.
It's like working in a kitchen. You have your station and a partner. You change tables and partners every week. Which sucks sometimes.. no one wants to get stuck with the one who is always having issues.
Every Tuesday and Thursday all the Cuisine and Pastry Labs bring all the dishes made that day to the big red room upstairs, present them and we all eat. We are required to show up, because we have to pick up our leftovers.
I dread the day I'm Chef of the Day. We will all be COTD at one point. On those days. The COTD has to stand along the others from the other labs and present their dish. Example " I'm Patty and I'm from Baking Lab I with Chef ____. Today we're presenting a Charlotte Cecile..." and usually say the cooking methods and the ingredients. I dread it because I can talk to people, I can talk to a group of people, but this is a ROOM full of people..... panic attack, in 5..4..3..2.....
I've tasted things that I've never tasted before. Some were awesome, some not so much, but I try to taste something I've never tasted before. The only thing I don't like is how some people have no concept of forming a line. If I can learn to wait my turn, you would think others would know its rude to just cut in. It's not like I'm waiting there for shits and giggles.
This week I learned to make.....
Syrup B
Upside Down Caramel Cream aka Crème Caramel aka Flan
French Meringue
Swiss Meringue
Italian Meringue
Chantilly Cream
Floating Islands aka Egg Whites in Snow something like this
Vanilla Sauce aka Creme Anglaise
We had a quiz on making Vanilla sauce, Everyone made their own batch. We then gathered around the table, he took his wooden spoon, dipped it in and showed everyone the consistency and told us if it was good or not. I rocked it. I was so freaking worried I was going to burn it.
Wednesdays Nutrition class was canceled because there was some lecture type thing with starchefs.com. There was a panel of young up and coming chefs. Some gave really good advice and they seemed really passionate... though I wondered how some of them didn't tip over from that gigantic ego they lug around. Some of the advice given? Listen and one said they don't like to repeat themselves. Sadly there was only one woman on the panel. Out of all the lectures I've been to this one I will not forget any time soon. I've never been to a lecture where the word Fuck used so many times.
I get to wear my chef uniform, I loved it.... before I had to wear it. Do you know how freaking hot it is with a sports bra, a shit, a chef jacket, a neckerchief ( I HATE that damn thing), a chef hat, an apron, and the Hammer Time Pants? So Damn HOT.
Now Photo Time.....
My 1st week of labs was awesome! I'm also realizing what I got myself into. I can't comment on the Cuisine side, but Pastry.. is no joke. You can't be a wussy, you can't take things personal, you better listen and be quick. Things are time/temperature sensitive.
Chef.. we are to only address them as "YES,Chef!". I kid, kind of.. most chefs want to be addressed as Chef, instead of Sir or Mr. I only say "YES, Chef!", because if they ask you to do something that should be your response.
I like my Chef, which is what I will call him from now on, not sure if he would be cool with me using his real name. Last thing I need is for him to be pist at me. I think he looks a little like William Petersen. He's all business. He does not like to repeat himself, but I notice none of them like to repeat themselves. I like his stories & if he has time he gives tips or advice, but don't piss him off.
It's like working in a kitchen. You have your station and a partner. You change tables and partners every week. Which sucks sometimes.. no one wants to get stuck with the one who is always having issues.
Every Tuesday and Thursday all the Cuisine and Pastry Labs bring all the dishes made that day to the big red room upstairs, present them and we all eat. We are required to show up, because we have to pick up our leftovers.
I dread the day I'm Chef of the Day. We will all be COTD at one point. On those days. The COTD has to stand along the others from the other labs and present their dish. Example " I'm Patty and I'm from Baking Lab I with Chef ____. Today we're presenting a Charlotte Cecile..." and usually say the cooking methods and the ingredients. I dread it because I can talk to people, I can talk to a group of people, but this is a ROOM full of people..... panic attack, in 5..4..3..2.....
I've tasted things that I've never tasted before. Some were awesome, some not so much, but I try to taste something I've never tasted before. The only thing I don't like is how some people have no concept of forming a line. If I can learn to wait my turn, you would think others would know its rude to just cut in. It's not like I'm waiting there for shits and giggles.
This week I learned to make.....
Syrup B
Upside Down Caramel Cream aka Crème Caramel aka Flan
French Meringue
Swiss Meringue
Italian Meringue
Chantilly Cream
Floating Islands aka Egg Whites in Snow something like this
Vanilla Sauce aka Creme Anglaise
We had a quiz on making Vanilla sauce, Everyone made their own batch. We then gathered around the table, he took his wooden spoon, dipped it in and showed everyone the consistency and told us if it was good or not. I rocked it. I was so freaking worried I was going to burn it.
Wednesdays Nutrition class was canceled because there was some lecture type thing with starchefs.com. There was a panel of young up and coming chefs. Some gave really good advice and they seemed really passionate... though I wondered how some of them didn't tip over from that gigantic ego they lug around. Some of the advice given? Listen and one said they don't like to repeat themselves. Sadly there was only one woman on the panel. Out of all the lectures I've been to this one I will not forget any time soon. I've never been to a lecture where the word Fuck used so many times.
I get to wear my chef uniform, I loved it.... before I had to wear it. Do you know how freaking hot it is with a sports bra, a shit, a chef jacket, a neckerchief ( I HATE that damn thing), a chef hat, an apron, and the Hammer Time Pants? So Damn HOT.
Now Photo Time.....
Classmates
Me in my uniform
Making Syrup
Lady Fingers
More fingers
Making Chantilly Cream
Thursday's Tasting
I plated these, aren't they pretty?








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home