Baking Lab 1: Week Two
This week was long, I was so tired, my feet and arm hurts. I think its from the baking kit, that thing must weigh at least 50lbs. It was insanely hot in the labs. The thermostat said 68 degrees but I know it was lying.
We learned to temper chocolate and make chocolate cigars. I need to practice, making those suckers curl isn't as easy as it seems. It was so messy. I also got to beat the crap out of butter. It's when you place a block of butter or the amount you need, wrap it in cling wrap, grab your rolling pin and beat the crap out of it until its flat. FUN!
We made some tarts... mine was too thick, the making of the dough was fine but I didn't roll it out thin enough, so Chef took the rolling pin and cracked mine and another students. I just stood there a little stunned, but amused. IHe told us to make more tart shells, 1st one's weren't perfect.
I don't think there was any malice behind the smashing of the tart, he had a "Oh yeah,I did that" look/smile. I must of involuntarily given him the stink eye because he later pulled me aside and asked if everything was okay, that he thought I could do this, something about succeeding and that I just needed to be as good as him. I told him I don't take anything he says personal and appreciated his advice... and I do. I've had managers like him. He's old-school. He's the type of manager I would be. I'm not there to baby your ass and leave your bullshit at the door. I don't hire friends either.. saves friendships. During break I asked some people if I looked at him weird and they said no but that somethings I look like I'm mad. I said oh that's just my face. All the women in my family have that don't mess with me look. I tend to look mad when I'm trying to focus or remember stuff or when my back is bothering me, which is every day. I get back spasms everyday, but I just deal with them and move on.
This week we make and presented on Tue, a Charlotte Cecile. Its a layer of sponge cake piped into a disk, a layer of dark chocolate mousse, a layer of sponge cake, a layer vanilla Bavarian creme, with ladyfingers around the edge and chocolate shavings/ cigarettes on top. Brought some home and everyone loved it.
Thursday's tasting was interesting... The Tarts were presented on Thursday. Once the food was presented, everyone stormed the long table again. There were a lot of pizza's on the table.. one chef, don't know his name yet, with a very thick French accent told every one to "SHUT UP"..he even turned around and told a fellow chef to shut up and proceeded to yell at the line piling on the pizzas. He said " THIS ISN'T PIZZA HUT, ITS NOT A BUFFET, EVERYONE HAS TO TASTE...." then some smart ass said something, the Chef didn't like his tone and said "WHAT DID YOU SAY MY MAN, DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM? ....." Dead silence. It was awesome.
I've started tasting only whats on my table and avoid the big table.. line cutters annoy me, I hate to wait and only go to the big table once most students sit or leave.
This week we learned...
Lady fingers
Piping lady fingers
Vanilla Bavarian cream
Chocolate mousse
Butter dough
Almond sugar dough aka Pâte Sablée
Quiche Pâte Brisée
Almond cream
Pastry cream
Pear and Almond tart
How to make chocolate, temper it on a marble slab and tried to make chocolate cigarettes.
Picture Time, my cell phone camera is acting all weird. Works when it wants.. I'm working on getting a camera.
We learned to temper chocolate and make chocolate cigars. I need to practice, making those suckers curl isn't as easy as it seems. It was so messy. I also got to beat the crap out of butter. It's when you place a block of butter or the amount you need, wrap it in cling wrap, grab your rolling pin and beat the crap out of it until its flat. FUN!
We made some tarts... mine was too thick, the making of the dough was fine but I didn't roll it out thin enough, so Chef took the rolling pin and cracked mine and another students. I just stood there a little stunned, but amused. IHe told us to make more tart shells, 1st one's weren't perfect.
I don't think there was any malice behind the smashing of the tart, he had a "Oh yeah,I did that" look/smile. I must of involuntarily given him the stink eye because he later pulled me aside and asked if everything was okay, that he thought I could do this, something about succeeding and that I just needed to be as good as him. I told him I don't take anything he says personal and appreciated his advice... and I do. I've had managers like him. He's old-school. He's the type of manager I would be. I'm not there to baby your ass and leave your bullshit at the door. I don't hire friends either.. saves friendships. During break I asked some people if I looked at him weird and they said no but that somethings I look like I'm mad. I said oh that's just my face. All the women in my family have that don't mess with me look. I tend to look mad when I'm trying to focus or remember stuff or when my back is bothering me, which is every day. I get back spasms everyday, but I just deal with them and move on.
This week we make and presented on Tue, a Charlotte Cecile. Its a layer of sponge cake piped into a disk, a layer of dark chocolate mousse, a layer of sponge cake, a layer vanilla Bavarian creme, with ladyfingers around the edge and chocolate shavings/ cigarettes on top. Brought some home and everyone loved it.
Thursday's tasting was interesting... The Tarts were presented on Thursday. Once the food was presented, everyone stormed the long table again. There were a lot of pizza's on the table.. one chef, don't know his name yet, with a very thick French accent told every one to "SHUT UP"..he even turned around and told a fellow chef to shut up and proceeded to yell at the line piling on the pizzas. He said " THIS ISN'T PIZZA HUT, ITS NOT A BUFFET, EVERYONE HAS TO TASTE...." then some smart ass said something, the Chef didn't like his tone and said "WHAT DID YOU SAY MY MAN, DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM? ....." Dead silence. It was awesome.
I've started tasting only whats on my table and avoid the big table.. line cutters annoy me, I hate to wait and only go to the big table once most students sit or leave.
This week we learned...
Lady fingers
Piping lady fingers
Vanilla Bavarian cream
Chocolate mousse
Butter dough
Almond sugar dough aka Pâte Sablée
Quiche Pâte Brisée
Almond cream
Pastry cream
Pear and Almond tart
How to make chocolate, temper it on a marble slab and tried to make chocolate cigarettes.
Picture Time, my cell phone camera is acting all weird. Works when it wants.. I'm working on getting a camera.
Charlotte Cecile
Charlotte Cecile with chocolate pieces and cigarettes.
sad tart shell
Almond & Pear Tart that was better.
I think this is what Baking Lab 3 made. It was SO GOOD!











0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home